PRAY4

PRAYING FOR MY BELOVED CRC MEMBERS & CALVIN COLLEGE et al to NOT ACQUIESCE TO FAR-LEFT LIBERALISM TO TRY TO BE ‘COOL’:

JESUS SAID: “I pray not that thou should take them out of the world, but that thou should keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

And for their sakes ..."

Calvin Institute of Christian Worship - Latest Resources

Twitter Search / CalvinKnights

LifeNews.com

Below: calvin chimes

Below: calvin college twitter feed. yes it's current

Twitter Search / CalvinCollege

ai2

ai2

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

8/21/19 CALVIN HAS DEDICATED A PART of the LIBRARY to REMEMBERING LEO PETERS as a CONTROVERSIAL BUT SUCCESSFUL ALUMNUS

as an alternative, I have created a blog 
that partly memorializes the Peters Family and some of our history which you can view at 

----------- ---------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
CALVIN COLLEGE HAS DEDICATED A PART of the LIBRARY to REMEMBERING LEO PETERS as a CONTROVERSIAL BUT SUCCESSFUL ALUMNUS .. a summary of which can be viewed at
https://archives.calvin.edu/index.php?p=creators/creator&id=374  (although the actual contents did not seem to be available when I clicked on it on 8/21/19 ..maybe it's only available as physical documents  if you visit the library )  . 

HOWEVER, as a grandson of Leo Peters  yes we agree that our grandfather was controversial and sometimes too harsh in some regards, even within & amongst his own extended family (ie my mother & her sisters from the "1st family" . He was married twice, with 3 children from the "2nd family" ) . I am a grandson from the 1st family. My mother & all her sisters (except for Brenda who was born developmentally disabled (ie down syndrome) RIP) attended Grand Rapids Christian High AND Calvin College (ie "eagle - knights" ) as did I and all my siblings. in the 80's and 90's .

 I was a student at Calvin College at the time my grandfather began his "attack" on Calvin College mostly in regard to the book "The 4th Day" by Howard Van Til. I myself even wrote an op-ed in the Chimes denouncing some aspects of his attack on some of the Calvin leaders (one of whom was beloved former Calvin president Tony Diekema who also happened to be my dad's best friend & teammate growing up in Holland, so you can imagine the anguish it caused them )

But at the same time later in my life I've become more defensive of the literal 7-day creation story and a literal Noah's Ark etc (I recently visited the Ark Encounter in Kentucky, very impressive and persuasive re the literal Flood & literal ark etc. I recommend that doubters visit this attraction constructed by Ken Ham at AnswersInGenesis ). 

However, I do NOT think we should take personal attacks against people who believe otherwise. Just use the facts to prove otherwise. So YES, my grandfather was controversial and sometimes harsh and even unkind at times to others, partly a product of his times, partly perhaps some character defects. 

And YES he was also successful as a businessman, and probably a little lucky as well. Our family do NOT regard him as a saint . We ALL have mixed feelings about his legacy.  I have created a blog that partly memorializes the Peters Family and some of our history which you can view at 
https://peters-appreciation.blogspot.com/

TODAY i am a Christian evangelist , having attended Calvin College & later a year at Calvin Seminary (& the remainder of my M.Div at Fuller Seminary) . I have also taught school, both Christian & Public, big & small, but eventually transitioned into being a full time Christian evangelist for Mustard Seed Ministries

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully appreciate this and the blog & the positive things left behind by my late grandfather, including "beautiful butter" (as well as the little patties you get with your hotcakes at McDonalds), & also the name "Butterball" which is now associated mostly with the  company who purchased the right to use the name with their turkeys, but grandpa retained the right to use it with his butter, and they continue to produce beautiful butter at their Butterball Farms factory on Jefferson Ave in Grand Rapids MI . His son, Mark, from his 2nd marriage is the CEO of the company. He was a few years older than me as we were growing up in Grand Rapids . 

My siblings and I  played and fought with Mark (& Ani & Teri)  growing  up ( friendly fights mostly, although a few more angry clashes between him & my older sister Julie) together at periodic family gatherings and at the cottage on Lake Michigan in the summers near tunnel park . He was a pretty nice guy back then when we were all kids. We learned to water ski together and do flips on the trampoline, etc. ( i visited west Michigan this summer 2019 & noticed there was NOT much of a beach, very high water) . He finally sold the Butterball mansion on Plymouth avenue a few years ago. 

It was always fun going there every now and then and exploring "the big house". He added a lot to it after the death of my grandfather and later, his mother Nancy, from the photos I've seen. But at the same time there were always family "issues" related to our grandfather ..so it was always a mixed bag of fun  but also some negative stuff. I try to concentrate on the fun and good things. Life's too short to focus on the negative. 

GOD BLESS YOU ALL. I encourage you to try to fulfill the Great Commission as we are ALL called to do as Christians. I also encourage all to protect the unborn at my #proLife blog (& you can find me periodically outside planned parenthood clinics holding a sign defending life, as well as annually at the Walk for Life west coast )  . I also advocate for greater unity of the body of Christ at http://pro-cath-ordox.blogspot.com/  . 

I am conservative in general in terms of politics , although when I was in high school & college I was a "seeker" in terms of politics, and still growing as a Christian (not perfect like some others at a young age in west Michigan CRC) .  I will leave it at that for now. I maintain numerous blogs on numerous topics all with the task of integrating the whole world into the Kingdom of God & reaching others with the Good News of Jesus Christ. 

- THEY CALL ME JOHN -

--
#Repent&BeBaptized !                        #acceptChrist2bSaved2day !